Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cake Plates-DIY

I thought this was such a great and creative idea. It wasn't my idea, but I ran across it on a blog that I am following (http://2000dollarwedding.com/2009/06/diy-vintage-wedding-cake-stands.html).
I love the fact that you use vintage items you can find at a thrift store, or even in your own kitchen cabinet, to make these. Very low cost and since you're reusing these items you're doing something great for the environment.
For your base you can use anything from cups, to candle holders, to vases.....and much more.
For the cake plates that I have created for this picture, I used a blue and white decorative plate from an old plate set that I inherited from an aunt of mine. The other decorative, larger glass plate is actually a flat cake plate that I found at a thrift store for a couple of dollars. For the bases I found a glass candle holder in the back of my candle cabinet, and an ice cream cup that I also found at the thrift store.
So all you do is make sure that the narrower end of the base is touching the plate, glue it to the center of the plate with epoxy glue, and let it dry overnight(plate laying flat on table).
And this is what you get. You can get so creative with this idea. You can even use these as a centerpiece with fruits, flowers or whatever you can think of.

I found another blog that had some great examples! Better pictures than mine.............
http://athomewiththefarmerswife.blogspot.com/2008/06/make-take-cake-plates.html

No comments:

Post a Comment