Thursday, May 28, 2009

Do I Miss My Old Job?



How about we reword that question. Do I miss my old job before it was bought out by the new owners? The answer is YES!
I was recently (December 2008) laid off, as were many people nationwide. I was laid off by the new owners (CVI) of my company. I'm not at all bitter about being laid off....well besides the manner in which it was done(our Christmas potluck@11am, 10 people called into conference room @ about 8:45 am, BUH, BYE!) . In fact, I found myself embracing my new situation. But it doesn't take away from the fact that while I worked for CVI, I was miserable. And you know, in the beginning there were many new changes that we all had to get accustomed to, and yes some people fought the changes, some people went along. But all of that was to be expected. The day that I personally became absolutely miserable was the day that a woman by the name of Julie was hired. I was unhappy before that, but when she was hired, my work life was so horrible that my eye actually started TWITCHING! I mean, like WTF? She turned everything upside down and inside out. Her new ideas and strategies only made it more difficult for us to do our jobs properly, and I didn't see anyone benefiting from these ideas. Especially not the customers! Well, I could go on and on with all sorts of negatives about this woman, but I don't want this blog to be about her.
Let's go back to when I worked for this company when it was OCi. I started working for OCi in 2000. Whenever anyone would ask if I liked my job, my response was always, "I LOVE IT!". And I meant it, too. It was like a dream job that I never knew I wanted. It was perfectly suited for me.....custom fit.
I don't ask, "Why, oh why did this have to happen?". I learned long ago never to question the "powers that be". I just go with the flow, and tried very hard to continue with that even when I was miserable there. But for some reason, there was no way around it. I can handle a lot of things, but when someone is making things so chaotic that I can't do my job properly, I get this feeling of helplessness. And I HATE feeling helpless! I am not the helpless type.....not the damsel in distress. I am a fighter....a survivor....in control of my own life. You will never find me blaming my life on anyone or anything from my past. I alone am in the driver's seat of my life.
Well, anyway.....That job I do miss. And if there were a way to turn back the hands of time, I would go back to that job right now. Do I miss working in general......no, not really. I enjoy staying home. I would really like to have a home based business, and I look into that when I get a chance. If I had it my way, I would sell stuff online and make decent profit, donate a few hours to charities (homeless, food banks, etc.), and maybe work somewhere for pay that only needed me about 15 hours a week. Yeah...that's my perfect vision. But like I said, if I could turn back the hands of time, I'd be there in a heartbeat, Lynn!

No comments:

Post a Comment