Thursday, May 28, 2009

Drivers Beware!


Is it me, or is anyone else noticing the increase in sitings of police officers parked off to the side, just waiting to pounce on that speeding motorist? I've also seen many motorists already pulled over, obviously getting a ticket from their local law enforcement.
Don't get me wrong....I'm not complaining. I think it's great. Especially around the schools. I'm just wondering, why now? Is it the economy? Are they being sent out to make money for their cities? Is it my imagination? Or is it something even scarier? Are these police officers fabricating for money?
Let me tell you a story. I'll start with some background. My fiance leaves an hour before his shift starts every day. He gets up at 4am whether he starts at 6am or 8am....it really doesn't matter. His work is a 20 minute drive on an average day. I asked him why he leaves an hour early, when work is only 20 minutes away. He says he doesn't like to rush, and wants to cruise into work without being flustered, and he likes to allow for some extra minutes just in case there's an accident or detour. OK...makes sense. So I asked him why he needs to get up at 4am every morning. He basically gave the same reason, doesn't want to rush, and wants to sit and enjoy the morning with his coffee. And he's been like this since I've known him....next month we'll have been together for 8 years.
So, why am I telling you all this and what does this have to do with my blog? Well, a couple of days ago, my fiance was driving to work and got pulled over. He was a block away from his work, and was 30 minutes early from starting his shift. The officer told him he was speeding, and my fiance told him he must be mistaken. Of course, the officer held his course. This was in a 35 mph zone, and the officer told him he was clocked at 59 mph!!!! OK, something else you must know about my fiance: I don't think I've EVER seen him speed! He borders on granny driving. There have been MANY times that we were on a 40 mph street, and I actually have had to tell him to speed up a little! He's never gone over 65 on the freeway, even if it was completely free of cars in front of him. So for this officer to say that he was going 59 in a 35 zone is completely insane! I could see if he said 40....or even 45. But come on, 59??? That's double what he should have been at. And this is a street with dips, bumps and railroad tracks. I know my man, and know that this number is wrong. He had absolutely no reason to speed one block away from his work, 30 minutes before his shift was to start.
So where does that leave us? It leaves me wondering if the economy is so bad that our law enforcement is ready to do whatever it takes to make some money for their quotas. Hmmmm......scary thought.
Well, needless to say, my fiance wants to fight this. Does he have a chance against "the man"?

UPDATE: He went to court and the cop didn't show.....DISMISSED! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment